Monday, June 22, 2009

Youssou N'dour: I Bring What I Love


Now playing: Youssou N'dour: I Bring What I Love, directed by Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi

Synopsis from the film's website:

Youssou N'dour: I Bring What I Love is a music-infused cinematic journey about the power of one man’s voice to inspire change. Described by Rolling Stone as “a singer with a voice so extraordinary the history of Africa seems locked inside it,” N'dour bridges two worlds – that of an international pop star, the highest selling African artist of all time, and a West African griot, a traditional musical storyteller. Shot over three years and across three continents, I Bring What I Love follows the creation of Ndour’s album Egypt, a work dedicated to the musician’s love of the Islamic faith. Released in 2004, at a moment when Islam suffered from a bad image in the Western world, the album was celebrated abroad, yet criticized as blasphemous in Senegal. With N'dour as a guide, the film shows the spiritual and musical inspirations behind Egypt and what the singer really wanted to transmit to his audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment